What is Red Light Therapy?
Red light therapy is an innovative treatment that helps patients to treat skin issues such as wrinkles, redness, acne scars and other unwanted signs of aging. At Long Island Dermatology, we have helped countless patients to treat various skincare concerns using this amazing treatment. Red light therapy, sometimes referred to as RLT, uses low wavelength red light in order to improve the skin’s appearance. Many experts believe it is a highly effective treatment for acne, and acne related issues.
How Does Red Light Therapy Work?
Red light therapy works by acting on the inner power storage areas of the cell, known as the Mitochondria. With more energy, other cells can do their work more efficiently, such as repairing skin, boosting new cell growth and enhancing skin rejuvenation.
Red Light Therapy for Hair Restoration
Red Light Therapy has been shown to stimulate the growth of hair follicles by increasing the time a hair follicle spends in the anagen phase. Red light therapy is also able to bring oxygen and increase blood circulation to the hair follicles and scalp overall, this helps to stimulate the growth of hair cells.
Benefits of Red Light Therapy
Red Light Therapy works to:
- Stimulate the production of collagen – giving skin added strength, structure, and overall elasticity.
- Increases the production of fibroblasts, which help to make collagen and vital connective tissue for the skin.
- Limit inflammation within the cells.
- Increase blood circulation to the treatment area, and expedite cellular regeneration and repair.
What Does Red Light Therapy Treat?
Red light therapy is known to treat a variety of different issues and conditions. At Long Island Dermatology we use Red Light Therapy for:
- Healing of wounds and scars
- Reducing the appearance of psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema.
- Helping to stimulate hair growth for patients with alopecia.
- Helping treat acne and acne-related skin conditions.
- Improve the overall facial texture.
- Reducing wrinkles, fine lines, and age spots.
- Treatment of sun-damaged skin.
- Treatment of stretch marks and cellulite issues.
Side Effects or Downtime?
One of the main benefits of red light therapy is the fact that it can help treat such issues, with minimal side effects, downtime or risks. Patients can generally return to their daily activities immediately after a session. Minor redness and irritations have been reported, but this is in rare cases.
For more information on Red Light Therapy and other treatments be sure to contact Long Island Dermatology today.